Monday, February 28, 2011

horror games = not fun.

I don't know how people find entertainment in horror based video games.
The first game I played of this genre was Resident Evil. The basis of that game was you were a part of a team that was in a mansion full of twisted mysteries and creatures. I remember coming  across a porch with one of my team mates dead and a crow pecking it's eye out.

I did enjoy this first instalment due to it's mystery. I find enjoyment in exploring and solving mysteries. (This could be why watch large amounts of CSI) The horror level was nothing to frighting so the game play was enjoyable.

However, I remember playing the second instalment of Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2 and it was too scary to play.  The stress was to much. Arms would break out of walls and attack you. Silent Hill also offered this same effect. The beginning game play is in a deserted school full of wheel chairs and creepy instruments.

I was convinced by a friend to play Dead Space 2.
I played the minimum three hours required for the weekly assignment. I was just to stressed out.
The creatures in Dead Space 2 make the scariest sounds. They come of nowhere and charge you. The creatures have tentacles, fangs and grotesque faces.

Space is also terrifying because it is always dark and there is no salvation check points. No option to calm down and enjoy the game play.

The theme of the game is I am left to my own devices after suffering memory loss. I have to make it though the monsters to find someone to revive my memory.

I found I was most frustrated because I couldn't handle playing the game in long periods. The video game environment was just too chaotic and dark.

I did not like the horror genre of games, and it would appear I still do not like them. I can safely predict I will never like them.

Dead Space 2. Dead Space. Electronic Arts. Play Station 3. 2011. Single/Multi-player. Disc.

Resident Evil Resident Evil. Capcom. Shinji Mikami. Play Station. 1996. Single-player. Disc.

Resident Evil 2. Resident Evil. Capcom. Hideki Kamiya. Play Station. 1998. Single-player. Disc.

Silent Hill. Silent Hill. Konami. Kelichiro Toyama. Play Station. 1999. Single-player. Disc.

No comments:

Post a Comment